The Houston Flashmob Presents: Invisiball!
(Contest info at the bottom of the post! Click here to jump to the contest, or read on.)
For our latest event we had 50+ flashmobbers join us at Houston City Centre to play a game of “Invisiball”. We asked everyone to dress up in baseball uniforms and meet us at the rock water fountain across from Bed Bath and Beyond in Town and Country Village, other than that the plan was a mystery! We were delighted to see such a diverse group from all ages (six year olds to sixty year olds) show up excited and ready to find out what we were going to do.
For me, the most exciting part of the whole event was that we (the Houston Flashmob) came up with only 5% of the plan and the participants came up with the other 95%. All anyone knew was to be at the rock fountain, 3:00pm on Saturday the 26th. Other than that, it was mystery. This is what went down:
We asked everyone to split into two teams then pick a team name and a pitcher for the team. After that, we flipped a coin to decide what team would win. Finally, the teams chose their line up and shared it with the other team. That’s the only plan there was, after that the flashmobbers created everything! It was AMAZING!
I arrived a few minutes after the rest of the group had gathered in the grass area. It was AMAZING to see everyone cheering, having “batting practice”, heckling the other team, and involving spectators as the teams warmed up. Before I knew it, the game had started and the first team was up to bat.
By the end of the first inning, the “Gas Monkeys” were falling behind the “Red Devils” by a few runs. I remember walking by a mother and her two little children and hearing on of the kids look up at her Mom and say “I’m rooting for the Gas Monkeys!” As the Red Devils took to the field for the second inning, one of the Gas Monkeys charged the mound after being “hit” by the invisible ball. The Red Devils team quickly grabbed the unruly player and dragged him off the field! This was intense competition!
Finally, the Gas Monkeys were four runs behind, the bases were loaded and hit big hitter, a little 5 year old girl, took to the plate. The pitcher wound up and threw a screaming fast ball. She connected and blasted it out of the park for a grand slam home run!!! After she ran the bases the Gas Monkeys flooded the field, lift her high in the air, and let out a roar of victory!
I want to thank EVERYONE who came out, dressed up, made signs and helped create this amazing and spontaneous event for everyone to enjoy! I also would like to thank the Houston Astros who heard about our baseball themed flashmob and has generously given us 40 tickets to give away for their College Classic at Minute Maid park!!
Here is how to win:
- Leave a comment in this blog post and use a valid email address so we can contact you
- Tag a friend and leave a comment on this picture on our Facebook page
The contest will be over March 3rd at midnight so be sure to post soon! We can send up to two tickets per person (who wants to go to the game alone, right? ).